Thursday, 25 February 2016

Whitley Bay Cemetery, Whitley Bay, UK

Whitley Bay's cemetery and crematorium are situated on the north side of Whitley Bay. 

The 3 hectare site was previously farmland and the cemetery was built in 1913 and opened in April of the same year. 

The first burial took place on the 14th of September 1913 and the first cremation was on the 4th of March, 1960.


At the time of writing, there have been 11,821 burials and 15,994 cremations at the site.

70% of people now prefer cremation, leaving 30% preferring burial.